As engineers and material suppliers, we are often called upon to address solutions that mitigate the effects of noise.
Whether planning for residential areas built near highways, railways or industrial facilities, noise and vibratory disturbance can be mitigated. Our engineered and manufactured noise barriers are widely used to mitigate these nuisances.
Several parameters come into play when building a noise barrier:
- The size and purpose of the barrier
- Desired noise reduction coefficient
- The material to be used
- Anticipated wind effects
- Foundation characteristics
- Service life
These parameters define the materials and barrier configuration required to absorb or deflect noise. Terre Armee offers two types of noise barriers that can be either ground-mounted or supported on deep foundations.
FanWall® Free Standing Sound Barrier
FanWall is a proven and economical free-standing sound barrier and is used in residential, commercial and industrial sites.
It is a free-standing noise barrier made of full-height or stacked rotatable concrete panels, assembled using a tensioned wire rope connection. FanWall® can be installed on a concrete leveling pad or on a simple gravel pad. Panels are placed based on the desired layout, then connected with tensioned strands. The wall is backfilled along the footing with a shallow gravel footing (normally a 30cm to 60cm depth on both sides).
FanWall presents several benefits
The rotatable, interlocking panel joint has sufficient residual angular rotation and vertical movement to eliminate the damaging effects of expansion, contraction, and frost heave which is common to other long-wall alternatives. Other benefits:
- Self-supporting design and footprint eliminates the need for deep foundation support.
- Durable precast units furnished with textures on both visible sides with optional sound absorptive features.
- Structures can be dismantled for re-use, relocation and with 100% salvageability.
- Fanwall is proven and tested to meet AASHTO >100mph wind loading and durability
Terre Armee Post-and-Panel noise walls
Our innovative Post-and-panel noise barrier solution is focused on the mechanical connection of the precast posts to the shallow, low-depth shafts.
Posts are situated in cannisters and can be temporarily supported through light prestressing as an option. Our method allows flexibility to make adjustments in terms of roadway offset, post spacing and post alignment. Once all adjustments are complete, the embedded cannisters are grouted via a pre-positioned integrated grout pump (optional) assuring proper post positioning and stabilization.
The innovation eliminates the need for external bracing, and allows for alignment adjustments. The segmental stacked panels are set between the posts in a fashion common for post-and-panel construction.
Benefits of the Terre Armee post-and-panel noise walls:
- Provides a minimal ROW footprint and overhead clearance
- Unique post-to-caisson design allows for rapid construction and precise alignment.
- Superior appearance and durability of concrete posts versus typical H-Beams.
- Lighter post design and segmental units minimize heavy equipment needs.