Soil anchors are used to actively stabilize structures and embankements that are subject to, or have already experienced destabilization or displacement caused by weathering, soil erosion, drag, vibration, buoyancy, and impact among other conditions. Our engineers develop a patterned matrix for these anchors which are driven into the soil to a recommended depth and whereby the anchor head is manually or mechanically rotated and locked into position.
This driven and stressed soil anchoring system is used in combination with a suitable ground surface or other facing. Unlike other soil stabilization methods, this system does not require heavy equipment and cement (grout) for installation, thus making TerraAnchor™ a highly economical solution without the need for heavy working platforms or a large working area.
Applications for TerraAnchor:
- Temporary or Permanent Stabilization of Excavation: TerraAnchor™ is often used to stabilize excavation during the construction of buried structures such as bridges, underpasses, tunnels and basements, and provides temporary or permanent stabilization of excavated ground slopes.
- Slope Stabilization: Whether used alone or in combination with other stabilization techniques, TerraAnchor™ can be used to prevent slope failure and landslides, or to stabilize already failing slopes.
- Support System: Ideal for providing stabilization support to sheet piles, soldier piles, gabions, structural scaffoldings, and also to prevent uprooting of stressed foundations and stabilizing vegetation.
- Strengthening: TerraAnchor™ can be used for strengthening existing structures, for instance weathered or failing retaining structures, gabion walls, tunnel portals and tunnel caverns.
- Anchorage: Used to improve anchorage capacity for surface erosion protection mattresses, precast revetment armors and grout-fused fabric mattresses.
- Control of Buoyancy and Uplift Pressure: Used for controlling buoyancy and uplift pressures in foundation raft, pipelines and submerged structure protection systems.
See also TerraNail for passive soil stabilization solutions.